Oh, I’ve tried a lot of chili…and this one takes the vegan-gluten-free cake! And since it’s pretty friggen’ cold outside (at least in Chicago), I thought I’d share my favorite vegan chili recipe with you.
Warning: for Spice Lovers only. Enjoy and warm up!
- Prep Time: 1 Hours
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Ready In: 2+
- Yields: 8 servings
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 1/2 Large Onion or 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Bay Leaves Crushed
- 1 TSP Ground Cumin
- 2 TBS Dried Oregano
- 1 TBS Salt
- 2 Large or 3 Average Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, Chopped
- 3 Habanero Peppers, Chopped
- 6 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 2 (4 Ounce) Cans of Chopped Green Chile Peppers
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 1 TBS Black Pepper
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can Kidney Beans
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can Black Beans
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can (Spicy) Pinto Beans
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can of your favorite Bean
- 1/2 of an Avocado (optional)
- Chop Peppers, Onions and Garlic
- Heat Olive Oil in Large Pot over Medium Heat.
- Stir in Onions, bay leaves, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Mix in Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Habaneros, Garlic and Green Chili Peppers.
- When vegetables are heated, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes, chili powder, black peppers.
- Stir in beans, increase heat and bring chili to a boil.
- Reduce Heat to Low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Continue to cook until about 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with avocado for a little added ‘flair’.