If I had a nickel…no wait…a penny for every time someone asked me how I get protein if I don’t eat animal products, I would build my throne right next to Queen E.
It’s a (clearly not widely known) MYTH that protein only comes from meat, fish, poultry, milk and eggs. I haven’t eaten that stuff in four years and my hair is so thick it puts a lion to shame.
And while I love me my animals, I certainly wouldn’t jeopardize my health if I couldn’t get an adequate source of protein from plants.
Sorry Bessy, but you’d be dinner.
Protein supports and maintains thick and strong hair and nails and is used to make enzymes and (bow-chicka-wow-wa) hormones. It’s one of the three macronutrient needed by the human body (carbs and fats being the other two) and there are a ton of delicious protein sources that don’t involve bloodshed or lactation.
So what are some plant proteins? Legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, algaes and soy (edamame, tofu, tempeh, miso), although I eat soy-based foods minimally.
To take the pain out of the process of having to actually google (gasp!) plant-based protein or legume or algae (yes, people actually eat that). Let’s just walk through my plate, meal-by-meal.
A day in my veg life:
- Breakfast: 1 cup of gluten-free oatmeal (6 grams), 1 cup of almond milk (7 grams), 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (6 grams) OR the-best-fricken-oh-my-God-I-want-an-IV-of-this-shit-running-through-my-veins-all-day-smoothie (recipe below).
- Lunch: 2 corn tortillas (5 grams), 1 cup seasoned beans (12 grams), salsa, avo, hot sauce or a gigantic salad packed with veggies, sauerkraut, avo and topped with lemon and olive oil.
- Dinner: 5 oz tofu (11 grams), 1 cup of quinoa (9 grams) 1 cup broccoli (4 grams) 2 tbsp almonds (4 grams), some sort of fancy seasoning
- Snack: 2 tbsp peanut butter (8 grams) with celery.
Total: 68 fabulous grams of protein. Blah. I win.
And if you want to blow your taste buds out of your damn mouth. Try the protein-PACKED smoothie, I devour pretty much daily.
- 1 scoop of Raw Protein Powder
- 1 cup of Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 banana
- Handful of fresh spinach and carrots
- Whatever supplements or superfoods I’m in the mood for that day (spirulina, chlorella, magnesium powder, maca, all of the above…)